It’s normal for you to have a hundred questions when you are considering what could be an amazing experience abroad. Don’t worry, we are here to help you! We have all been exactly where you are, and we know how valuable our information can be.

We’ve answered the most common questions students have about Australia and AUssieYouTOO. We hope you will find all the answers to your questions here, but if you don’t, contact us!

Below, you will find the most common questions that thousands of students have asked us:

  • Are AUssieYouTOO services free?

    Yes, they’re totally free.

    Our services will not cost you. We will help you every step of the way so you can plan your ideal trip to study and work in Australia.

    We have agreements with over 100 Australian education institutions and they are the ones who pay our fees. If you decide to do the process through us, you will pay exactly the same as if you do it directly with the school. It could even be cheaper as we have access to special offers all the time. This sounds like a perfect plan, doesn’t it?

  • What is the process required to study in Australia?

    We know it really well mate! Let us guide you through every single step.

    We are experts in Australian education, so if you want to move to the land of kangaroos, give us a buzz and we’ll help you. This is the first step! Sounds easy, don’t you think?

    To find out what else we’ll need to do, check the Student Visa process.

  • How much does it cost to study and work in Australia?

    This is a very common question amongst students who want to travel to Australia, but there is no standard answer. The cost will depend on many different factors, such as the city you choose, the school you decide to enrol in or what you want to study. Contact us and we will help you out!

  • What can I study in Australia?

    If you don’t know English very well, the best thing you can do is learn the language. From there you can study a VET course or even go to a university to do a bachelor’s or a master’s degree. The sky is the limit!

    Take a look at the different options available to study in Australia.

  • Which is the best city for students?

    That’s the million-dollar question! What would be my favourite city? Without a doubt, this is one of the most important decisions that you will have to make before moving to Oz.

    There are thousands of kilometres of desert, rainforest, mountains, lakes, rivers, roads and beaches that separate each city. Each one has a different weather and offers several lifestyles…Our Listeners can help you decide where the course you want to study is available  and give you some advice according to your needs and expectations.

  • What sort of visa do you need to study in Australia?

    This will depend on what you want to do in and your nationality. The most frequent ones are: Tourist Visa, Student Visa and Work and Holiday Visa.

  • Can I work in Australia?

    Sure thing! You can work as long as you have a valid visa that allows it.

    Australia has a very low unemployment rate (5%) so finding a job shouldn’t be a problem for you.

    Like everywhere else in the world, the bigger the city the more likely you are to find a job. However, in small towns there is a lot of tourism depending on the season so that could work out too!

  • Do I need any vaccinations to travel to Australia?

    There are no mandatory vaccinations to move to Australia, unless you have been in an epidemic area during the two weeks prior to your arrival to Oz. Travellers from tropical countries will have to double check what extra requirements they need before boarding the plane.

  • Which is the best season to arrive to Australia?

    Whenever you decide to come! Australia is a huge country and the climate varies depending on where you are. It is the only country that is considered a continent in itself. You can find tropical rainforests in the North, snowy mountains in the South-East, and enormous deserts in the centre.

    The best answer is – always! It’s always a great time to move to Australia.

    Honestly, your experience will depend on the state in which you choose to live. Here’s a tip: keep in mind that the further North you go, the higher the temperature will be!

  • What is the cost of living in Australia?

    According to the latest update the estimated monthly costs are at around $1,753 AUD. However, this will depend on your lifestyle, the city you choose to live in and how you will organize your life Down Under.

  • What plug and voltage do you use in Australia?

    In Australia, power plugs and sockets are Type I. The standard voltage is 230V and the standard frequency is 50Hz. You can use your electric appliances in Australia, if the standard voltage in your home country is between 220-240V (as is in the UK, Europe, Australia and most of Asia and Africa). If the standard voltage in your home country is in the range 100-127V (as is in the US, Canada and most South American countries), you need a voltage converter in Australia. The Type I plug has two flat pins in a V-shape as well as an earthing pin. If you live in Argentina, China, Uruguay, or in some Pacific Islands, you can use the same plugs that you have at home. If not, you will need a travel adapter.

  • Do I need to open a bank account?

    In Australia, it is a very easy process. You will only need your passport, an Aussie phone number and a local postal address where they can send you your Debit Card (you will receive it in around seven business days). If you use our services, we will help you open your bank account from your home country! If you don’t want to travel with pocket money, you can transfer the money before arriving, and we will help you to withdraw it when you arrive. How great is that?

    To transfer money from your home country, you will need your bank name, their address and their IBAN of your current bank. And you will need the SWIFT CODE of the Australian bank, as well as your new Australian account numbers (BSB and Account Number).

    If you have a credit card, you will be able to use it in Australia, but keep in mind that international transactions can incur in big fees.

    If you stay for several months studying in Australia, your personal COOLaborator from AUssieYouTOO will go with you to the bank to open or activate your account. It will be easier, free and faster!

    We also suggest that you speak with your current bank before traveling to check their international fees, and to get their contact detsails. We know for sure that at some point, you will need it.

  • And if I need to do a bank transfer?

    To start your adventure, you will need to transfer some money to your new Australian Bank Account. Before doing this, you should check the current exchange rates and your bank’s commissions. We normally work with Transferwise but its totally up to you!

  • How do I get a SIM card for my Aussie phone?

    There are many companies in Oz that offer this service: Telstra, Vodafone, Lebara and Optus are a few of the big ones. Optus is the most popular one amongst our students. Telstra has the best national cover but it’s definitely the most expensive option. Vodafone works quite well in the main cities and so does Lebara…what you choose is up to you!

    Your COOLaborator from AUssieYouTOO will help you buy your SIM card and choose the best plan according to your needs and the offers available at the time of your arrival.

    There are many places to buy your pre-paid SIM card. The cost ranges from $30 to $49 AUD depending on the company you choose and the offer you get.

    We strongly suggest you unlock your Smartphone before traveling. Once in Australia, this can be expensive, and you may end up having to buy a new phone.

  • Should I buy or rent a van?

    Renting a van is quite expensive, but if you share the expenses with other travellers it can be cheaper.

    Buying and selling vans is very common in Australia because it’s one of the cheapest ways to travel. The main problem is that it can take some time to sell it when you want to return to your home country. There are many aspects that you need to take into account when you want to buy a van. For example, the technical inspection (called REGO). If you are buying a van with an expired REGO, the price you pay should be cheaper because you will need a mechanic to check the van before you pass the REGO, you will also need mandatory insurance.

    Keep in mind that the season may also be crucial when buying a van. During the summer, you can find better deals as there are many backpackers selling and buying vans. Additionally, you need to sell it in the same state where you bought it as every state has its own rules and regulations.

    You can also travel using something called ‘relocation’. A relocation van is a rental van that needs to be transferred to the original branch after a one-way rental. Rental companies usually give relocation vans for free or for a very cheap price. The only negative aspect is that you normally have a limited number of days and you may have to drive many kilometres. But you will save good money so it may be worth it!

  • What can I bring in my luggage?

    There are limits for tobacco, alcoholic beverages and other stuff you might want to bring (plants, shells, food, etc.) Australia has very strict health policies to protect its ecosystem. The main reason for this is that Australia is an island that has been isolated from the rest of the world for many years, so it isn’t immunized against certain diseases and pests that in other areas are considered normal.

    The Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service prohibits the entry of fresh fruit, vegetables, seeds or plants that may carry pests or diseases. If you bring illegal items, they will confiscate them at the border and they can even penalise you, be careful! If you carry any food, medicines or any items subject to inspection, you must declare them. How? On your flight to Australia, you will receive an Immigration card called Incoming Passenger Card. This is when you need to declare everything you consider relevant.

    The best suggestion is that you don’t bring anything that can be subject to be confiscated. If at any time you miss the gastronomic pleasures of your home country, in the main Australian cities you will be able to find almost everything!

  • Do I need a travel insurance to travel to Australia?

    Although it is not mandatory, it is highly recommended. Health services are very expensive in Australia and it can become a serious financial problem for you. On our partners’ page, you will find IATI Seguros, check the options they offer! Additionally and if you travel with a student visa you will need an Overseas Student Health Cover (your Listener will help you get it!).

  • What do I do in case on an emergency?

    In an emergency, call 000 from any phone. We hope you never have to use it, but it is an easy number to remember.

  • What is a backpacker?

    Backpacking is a form of low-cost, independent travel. But, in Australia we also call hostels – backpackers. There are thousands of backpackers across Australia and they are one of the most popular and economic accommodations when traveling. It is also an amazing way to meet people and discover other cultures. You’ll find people who are there for a couple of nights and others who actually live there for longer periods of time. In general, there is a young and fun environment and it is easy to make friends.

    There is an international hostel card, that gives you some discounts. We suggest you get it before starting your trip.

    If you are looking for a place to stay overnight, we suggest you look at the backpackers that are recommended by our COOLaborators in Australia.

  • Is it useful to get a bike?

    In Australia, biking is one of the most popular commuting methods. You will find a wide range of models, both new and second-hand. The price varies, depending on the model (between $150 and $200 used) or a normal bike that has passed through several owners ($50-$70). In addition, they are the perfect method of transportation to go to the beach and surf!

    Important: It is mandatory to wear a helmet, and if you don’t, you can face fines of up to $100.

  • How can I get a Sponsor Visa?

    Sponsor visas are offered to international employees by Australian companies, so they must be very interested in hiring you. It is not easy to get one!

    If you want to do it on your own, the visa you need is called an Independent Skilled Visa. First you should check in this table if you have enough points and then check the process with the official body that regulates your profession. It is a complicated process, and we do not have the resources or knowledge to give you legal support.

  • What are the requirements to work as an Au Pair in Australia?

    Only be willing to begin the adventure!

    Ask us how!

  • It is possible to travel with my partner to study in Australia?

    Of course! It is possible to apply for a Partner Student Visa. However, you will need to prove that you have been in the relationship and living together for at least a year. You can do this by  providing documents such as: rental agreements, joint bank accounts, photos, flight tickets, etc. If your partner visa is approved, only one of you will need to study and the other will be able to work part time. Contact us and we will help you!

  • Can I work as a freelancer in Australia?

    Yes, if you have a visa that allows you to work. For example, with the student visa or the Work and Holiday Visa you can be self-employed. Get your Australian Business Number (ABN) and start working! It’s free.

  • Should I tip at hotels and restaurants?

    Although Australia is an Anglo-Saxon country, tipping does not work as it does in the United States. The short answer is that in Australia you don’t have to tip, only if you want to. It’s true that people do it when they are at a fancy place or if you have liked the food and service as the best way to thank the waiter is with a good tip. On the other hand, we advise you not to try to negotiate prices, bargaining is not a common practice in Oz.

  • Is it safe to surf in Australia?

    Yes, indeed! As long as you don’t surf when there is nobody else in the water.

    Our recommendation is that you ask to the Aussies about the best spots and follow them. The most important and famous beaches are usually guarded by experienced lifeguards who will help you in case of an emergency. They usually use flags to indicate the safest areas to swim and if they see you a little clueless they will help you out. The main Australian coasts are usually patrolled by these lifeguards, but if you go to a less frequented beach you will always find signs that provide you with information about jellyfish, crocodiles, sharks and other wild animals that you may find in Australia.

  • How do telecommunications work in Australia?

    The country code is 61 (+61). Local calls from public telephones have no time limit and cost $0.05. Mobile, long distance and international calls cost depending on the longevity of the call. All of Australia has mobile network coverage, however, this coverage may be limited in some remote areas. If you want to travel across the desert, there are some special phones that you can use in case of an emergency. Regarding internet access, we must confess that connections are not usually the fastest in the world. You can find free Wi-Fi in some parts of the cities, libraries, cafés, and in most accommodations.

  • What are the general taxes in Australia?

    The land Down Under has a 10% goods and services tax (GST). Everyone can request a refund that has been applied when purchasing items for a minimum value of $300 at any store. You must make the tax claim during the last 30 days of your stay in Australia.