Yes, you can work in Australia!

The answer to the question ‘Can I work in Australia?’ is ‘Of course!’

Australia is the sixth largest country in the world and doesn’t know what a crisis is! Over the last few decades, their economy has grown steadily not to mention they have a very low unemployment rate. Are you in?

The first thing you need to know is that to be able to work in Australia, you need to have a valid visa that allows you to work.

What are the most common visas to work in Australia?

It depends on your nationality, age and professional profile… however the most common ones are the Student Visa or the Work and Holiday Visa (available only for certain nationalities).

  • Student Visa

    Without age limit and for all nationalities

  • Work and Holiday Visa

    With age limits, English requirements and only available to some nationalities.

  • FAQ about working in Australia

    Solve all your questions about working in this country.

  • Student Visa

    The Student Visa is ideal to live, study and work for a while in Australia. It has no age limit and it allows you to work part time (40h every fortnight) during the course and full time when on holidays. This visa is available to all nationalities and you can also include your partner!

    We really know about this one so go ahead and ask away!

  • Work and Holiday Visa

    It is a visa for people under the age of 31 who want to travel and work in Australia for up to 12 months, with the possibility to do another 24 months depending on their nationality.

    If you want to start you adventure studying, we can help you applying for your visa and welcoming you to Australia with one of our COOLaborators.

  • Other visas

    There are many other visas to come and work in Australia. For example, you may now the Skilled Visa or the Sponsor Visa. These are visas that require and advanced level of English, a University degree and/or work experience. If this is your case and you want more information, we suggest you contact a specialised immigration agent. Keep in mind that this is a long and expensive process.


It’s normal that you still have many questions. Keep reading and don’t worry, we are here to help you out!

These are the answer to the questions that you may have now about working in Australia:

  • Where can I look for a job?

    If you’re already in Australia, the best thing you can do is to go out and knock on the door of the companies where you’d like to work. Don’t forget to wear your best smile!

    If you want to search from your home country or want to have a look at the current offers, we suggest you check online and/or through employment agencies.

  • Can I find a job in Australia from my home country?

    If you’d like to be hired before traveling to Australia, think twice! It’s very unlikely that you’ll find a job from overseas. If you apply for an offer from your country, keep in mind that the first think you’ll be asked is about your visa and they may organise a personal interview. We suggest that you do it step by step: first get your visa and once in Australia, go for the job!

    This way, you’ll see if there are job offers in your area of expertise and if there are, which is the city where your profession is on high demand. This will help you choose your destination!

  • What is the hourly rate in Australia?

    The minimum wage in Australia is $18.93 per hour or $719.20 per week, as per July 1, 2019. If someone offers you a lower salary than the mentioned above, don’t accept it! That isn’t usually the case, but sometimes they can take advantage foreigners. However, you have already read our page and you are ready!

    In Australia, the salary depends on the job type and if it is qualified or not. Most of our students come to learn English, so in general, they do unskilled jobs. The following are the results of a survey of more than 100 of our students working in Australia:

    • 27% earn $18,93 per hour.
    • 29% earn between $18,93 and $23 per hour
    • 29% earn between $23 and $25 per hour
    • 14% earn more than $25 per hour
  • In which industry can I work in Australia?

    Wherever you want, mate! It’s a huge country with job offers in all sectors and industries, but don’t get too excited! If you want to get a qualified job, you’ll need an excellent level of English, a lot of motivation and a very positive attitude. It won’t be an easy road!

    Most of us have a basic level of English when we arrive Down Under, so the jobs we apply for are, in general, unskilled jobs like cleaning, gardening, washing dishes… These are what we call ‘jobs that will help you survive’. But if you’re the kind of person that thinks: ‘I’m looking for a job and I don’t mind where’, there’ll be something for you.

    You have to have an open mind, ready for the adventure and willing to adapt to a new style. As Marta says in her blog, ‘Australia isn’t a country for lazy people’.

  • Which is the Australian city with more job offers?

    Big cities like Sydney or Melbourne are the places with more job offers all year round. If you need a job right after landing, be careful with tourist places like Byron Bay, Gold Coast or Noosa. These are tourist destinations and if you land during winter, it may be difficult to find a job!

    Our students and COOLaborators who live Down Under keep us up to date on the different job offers at each location. So, we’ll inform you of the current situation in each city when we meet you!

  • How many hours per week can I work?

    It depends on your visa.

  • Do I need a good level of English to work in Australia?

    Good question! Do you need to know Spanish to work in Spain? Yes and no. English is the official language of the country, so if you want a job where you will need to communicate, you will need a good level of English!

    What happens if you don’t have a good English level? Then your first job in Australia will be washing dishes or cleaning houses. But hey! There’s nothing to be ashamed of. We also started like this! Haven’t you read our story?

  • Does the curriculum I use in my home country work in Australia?

    No! The CV you use in your home country is not the same that you need to submit in Australia.

    If your goal is to get a job in Oz, in addition to smiling when applying for a job and telling them that you are looking forward to working there, you’ll need to prepare your resumé according to the country’s guidelines.

    Prepare you CV and print a few copies before you travel to Australia, so you can distribute them from day one!

  • Is it mandatory to have a Tax File Number (TFN) to work?

    The Tax File Number (TFN) is a number issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to identify the tax matters of an individual or organisation in Australia. It isn’t required but many companies will ask for it when you start working. Only if you have a valid TFN, you’ll be able to recover the taxes you pay while working in Australia.
    You can request your TFN online 24/7, it’s free and it’s very easy if you follow the steps.

  • What is the Australian Business Number (ABN)?

    The Australian Business Number (ABN) is a public identification number (like the TFN), that allows you to work as a freelancer and send invoices to those who hire your services.

    You can do this by going to the Australian Business Registry website. Remember that to apply for an ABN, you must first have a valid TFN.

  • How do I validate my previous studies to work in Australia?

    I’m sure you have a lot of studies: Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees, doctorates, advanced courses… Are they valid in Australia? The answer isn’t simple because it depends on many aspects such as the industry, or the type of degree.

  • What certificates do I need to get a job in Australia?

    You’ll need to obtain a certificate to work in certain sectors or positions. In some cases, you will need to do a short online course and in other, it can take longer on a face-to-face course.

  • What is WOOFING?

    A WWOOFer or someone who travels WOOFING is someone who exchanges his or her volunteer work for accommodation and food (usually organic). If you like to be close to nature and wildlife, working on an organic farm in Oz can be a very good option.

  • Can I work as an Au Pair?

    Sure thing! Australia is a perfect country to become an Au Pair or enrol in a Demi Pair program. It’s one of the best ways to get to know the real Aussie culture and at the same time improve your English. You will learn a lot working with children!

  • Do I need a bank account?

    In Australia, it’s a very easy transaction. If you are planning to be Down Under more than three months, we strongly suggest you open a bank account. You’ll be able to transfer money, pay using your debit card or deposit your salary. Check the conditions of each bank and choose the one that best suits you. Most bank accounts are free for students.

    And don’t forget to close it when you leave the country!

  • Should I be of legal age to work in Australia?

    If you hold a Student Visa, you need to be at least 18 years old to legally work in Australia.

  • How can AUssieYouTOO help me find a job in Australia?

    We’ll guide you from the first moment to ensure you know how to look for a job in Australia. We’ll review your CV and show you which are the best neighbourhoods to find a job. We’ll also help you request your TFN and we will support you whenever you need. You are invited to our monthly workshOOps to find jobs and accommodation!

    You should keep in mind that we’re not an employment agency, we just give you the tools to be able to grow. You’ll have to look for the job yourself!